A train depot was built on the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri railroad at Andrews, NE in 1885. The railroad was later named the Chicago & Northwestern. There was a water tower, coal chute and two sidings. Andrews was first called Hunter, a trading post on the Cheyenne-Fort Robinson stage road. A post office was established March 19, 1903 and on March 8, 1906 the name was changed to Andrews. The named reportedly honored the man who homesteaded where the town was located. There was a café, room house for railroad workers, stockyards, grocery store, blacksmith shop, a bowery and a local band. School Dist. #30 school house was on a hill above town. In 1933 9th & 10th grade were added to the curriculum. The schoolhouse was used as a community hall and church services were also held there.
Ed Swartz was an early settler, George Watson lived there 33 years, two generations of Morrison’s operated the post office & grocery, Fay Watson was the first and only barber and sold groceries, bought eggs and cream and had a pool table. The Hilton brothers were employed on the railroad section the longest period of time.
There was and still is a picnic ground. Names of some of the baseball players were: Buckley, Gersic, Watson, Abel, Hilton, Toliver, Edgell. Other entertainment included, swimming, ice skating, sleighing and Saturday night dances.
Today Andrews is a ghost town, most building long gone, railroad tracks removed, school closed in 1959, post office closed in 1951. In 1986 the old dance hall remained, as did the Swartz frame house.

Comments are closed.